Usually, I don’t like to name names when people ask, “What is the best pet food?” What works best for one pet will give another one tummy problems, and still another one won’t even touch it. As I emphasize frequently, variety is extremely important for our cats and dogs. Feeding the same food year in and year out is a good way to create food intolerances and allergies, as well as finicky behavior; and it puts pets at risk for serious deficiencies or excesses. One cat rescue that fed only Wellness canned food had many cats get sick, and several die, due to the lack of thiamine in food that was later recalled. (For more info on why variety is so important, and how to get your cat to eat different foods, see our article on Switching Foods.)
The very best diet you can feed your cat is a properly balanced, species-specific, raw homemade diet using fresh, organic foods; and secondarily, a commercially made, nutritionally complete raw diet. That said, I recognize the reality that a lot of people are just not able to do that. Canned food is the most practical and do-able way for many folks.
Now, I do publish a complete list of “Dr Jean’s approved brands” in my ebook, What Cats Should Eat: How to Keep Your Cat Healthy with Good Food, which I update frequently. But if you don’t want to buy the ebook, I will, just this once, tell you about my favorite canned cat food!
Life’s Abundance pet foods are formulated by Dr. Jane Bicks, a fellow veterinarian and long-time friend. I gave Dr. Jane no end of hassle for years, until she finally came out with a canned cat food: Instinctive Choice. I believe this is absolutely the highest quality, lowest-carb, cat-friendliest canned food available anywhere. Cats love it, and it has saved many lives when kitties wouldn’t eat anything else.
A few years ago, my youngest cat, Sundance (now 11), developed a life-threatening condition called idiopathic hypercalcemia. He would sniff at food but then not eat it; so he was losing weight fast. As it turned out, Instinctive Choice was the only food he would eat, and it helped him to get “back on his paws.” Now of course he was getting holistic treatment with homeopathy, acupressure, Reiki, etc.; but without “good groceries,” the body can’t heal!
Let me say that again, because it is such a crucial concept: No matter what remedies or supplements or therapies we give our cats, nutrition is still the foundation of it all. If that foundation is weak or crumbling, it must be repaired, and the only way to do that is with healthy, wholesome food. Instinctive Choice makes a good solid brick for that foundation.
But…as much as I love this food, and as well it can serve as the foundation of your cat’s diet; variety is still critically important, so please incorporate other wholesome, natural brands in your rotation.
Note re cats with kidney disease: This is a very high protein food. While older cats absolutely need more high quality protein as they age, and some research supports even very high protein diets for CRF kitties, there is opposing research that finds longer life and fewer crises with low protein food–but those studies were funded by companies that make that food. Overall, the protein issue is still controversial. I would advise you to discuss it with your veterinarian, but the answer will almost certainly be “no” because most vets do not truly understand feline nutrition, and are educated and influenced by the pet food companies who make kidney diets–who obviously have a financial interest in convincing vets to sell those foods. This food will often tempt even sick cats to eat, but you may want to alternate it with a lower protein food. All I can tell you is that my own cat Flynn, who was recently diagnosed with CRF, still gets his raw diet and this cat food, among others, and I have no intention of changing or putting him on k/d or anything remotely like it. Maybe he won’t live as long…maybe he will…but at least I can see how much he enjoys eating!
Instinctive Choice can be ordered directly from Life’s Abundance; click on the order button to visit their website; or keep reading for more information about this food. Samples now available, see below.
What is not in Instinctive Choice
- Instinctive Choice does not contain fruits (such as cranberries or apples), vegetables (such as sweets potatoes or carrots) or grains (such as wheat, barley, corn or oats). Cats are metabolically adapted to use protein and fat as energy sources and they have no metabolic need for carbohydrates. Most domestic cats, however, need a little fiber because their digestive tracts are used to getting it. Guar gum is an excellent source of fiber.
- Instinctive Choice does NOT contain corn or corn gluten, wheat or wheat gluten, artificial colors or artificial preservatives.
What is in Instinctive Choice and why is it better?
- Instinctive Choice premium canned cat food is nutrient dense; therefore, you can feed less of Instinctive Choice than many other brands of canned cat food.
- Instinctive Choice contains high-quality proteins from meat and fish. The organic chicken, turkey, chicken liver and shrimp are carefully selected to provide your cat with a variety of protein sources, the best high-quality proteins we could find. This ensures that your cat will get a full array of necessary protein components that true carnivores need to live a healthy life.
- The chicken liver in Instinctive Choice not only provides a rich protein source, it is also a warehouse of nutrition because it contains Vitamins A, E, C, folic acid, B vitamins, iron and copper just to mention a few. Some say it is the healthiest food in the world.
- Instinctive Choice contains nutrient-rich water. This is important because modern house cats are descendents of desert animals that obtained moisture from their prey and so they do not like to drink water from a bowl. The nutritional components found in meats and chicken broth allow your cat to obtain moisture closer to the way a cat in the wild would get it.
- Every cat owner knows that cats crave grass. That’s instinct at its best! When cats in the wild consumed their prey, the intestinal tract contained grass. Instinctive Choice contains dog grass extract.
- Instinctive Choice contains a guaranteed amount of added omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil and omega-6 fatty acids in a ratio that is beneficial for overall health.
- Instinctive Choice contains added chelated minerals, which are closer to those found in nature so they are absorbed better.
- Instinctive Choice contains a guaranteed amount of added vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant important to good health.
- Instinctive Choice contains added Inulin, which supports a healthy intestine, a healthy immune system and increased nutrient absorption.
- Instinctive Choice contains a superior blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to help contribute to a healthy daily diet.
- Instinctive Choice has a savory taste that your kitten or cat will love. The organic chicken, turkey, succulent shrimp and chicken liver are cooked in a delicious broth that is seasoned with a little bit of rosemary.
* My cats also love the Life’s Abundance Wellness Food Supplement for Cats…they all come running whenever they hear me shake that jar! It’s one treat I feel great about giving them!
SAMPLES NOW AVAILABLE! The company does not provide samples, but I think it’s important for people to be able to see their cat’s reaction to the product before committing to buying a case of it, which ultimately costs more than $30 with tax and shipping. Therefore, I am willing to send you either 1 or 2 cans out of my personal stock, for only the cost of the food, postage, etc. No extra taxes, no extra shipping, just this one price:
Order by clicking on the cart button after one of the options above. You will receive an email with instructions on using your sample(s) that you can download. Once I get the confirmation I will ship your package. However, please be patient. I only go to the post office a couple of times a week, so it may take up to 14 days for you to receive your sample (although hopefully it will be much quicker most of the time!). PLEASE PROVIDE A SHIPPING ADDRESS to PayPal when ordering. Thanks!
NOTE: Life’s Abundance is a network marketing company, so there is an opportunity there for those who want to work it. Click the Order Now button, then on the middle button on the top that says “Opportunity” to learn more.
Post Footer automatically generated by Add Post Footer Plugin for wordpress.